HOW ARE AFFILIATE BOARDS ORGANIZED?
Building your board
Boards range from 5-11 members, including officers, and hold meetings at least quarterly on a consistent schedule.
- Strive for diversity of race, gender, age, talents, etc.
- Seek representatives from government, educators, faith groups, and business sectors
- Value of time are as much as a person’s capacity for financial contributions
- Consider a person’s flexible schedule, interest in the community, and willingness to roll up their sleeves
- Avoid “seat fillers”, “talking heads,” and “meeting attenders”
CKCF recommends that boards elect at least a chair and secretary/treasurer. See your affiliate’s policies and procedure agreement for details on board officers. Affiliates have some leeway: some boards have officers including vice chair and separate Secretary and Treasurer. General Help –if you have questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Affiliate Liaison if you have questions.
- Click here for Affiliate Agreement Example, Contact Affiliate Liaison for your local copy
- Click here to see our Glossary of Terms
The board should maintain a timeline that includes:
- Board member term dates
- Develop succession plan for officers.
- An annual meeting date to elect officers, recognize outgoing members, and celebrate achievements of the year.
- Dates of events such as grant/scholarship cycles, awards ceremonies, available to spend announcements, deadlines for available to spend, other annual activities
- The date of your strategic planning meeting with CKCF staff or outside facilitation, a good practice is bi-annual.
What is your annual meeting date? Click here to find out!